Please follow the guidelines below when submitting your papers. This page may be updated as we move through the paper submission process with additional information.
Abstracts for all tracks will be submitted in text boxes in the submission system so no special format is needed during this phase. Abstracts for Full Papers, WIPs, and Student Posters should be 300-500 words. Abstracts for Special Sessions, Panels, and Pre-Conference Workshops should be 800-1000 words. The first sentence of the abstract should indicate the type of paper that is being submitted.
Authors must choose at least one topic keyword from the engineering education taxonomy (http://taxonomy.engin.umich.edu/taxonomy/)
Initial Paper Submissions
Once abstracts are accepted, authors will submit their initial papers for further review. All papers submitted for this stage must follow the templates available at the link below.
Student Posters will not follow this template. For the initial submission after the abstract is reviewed, Student Posters will be submitted in draft poster format.
- Initial paper submissions should be blinded. Please remove all author and institution information from the paper. Also be sure to blind references to your past work. You may use “[Anonymous 2007]” in the text and “[Anonymous 2007] Details omitted for double-blind reviewing” in the reference list for your past work.
- The final version of a Full Paper CANNOT EXCEED 8 PAGES, with 1 additional page of references, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The final version of a WIP (Work-In-Progress) paper CANNOT EXCEED 4 pages, with 1 additional page of references. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please do not include ‘WIP’ or ‘Work in Progress’ in the title of your final manuscript. It is no longer a requirement for FIE.
- The final version of a Special Session or Panel paper CANNOT EXCEED 6 PAGES, with 1 additional page of references, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The final version of a Pre-Conference Workshop outline CANNOT EXCEED 6 PAGES, with 1 additional page of references, NO EXCEPTIONS
- The first sentence of your abstract should carefully indicate what type of paper you are contributing to FIE (Full Paper, Work-In-Progress, Student Poster, Special Session, Panel or Workshop). In addition, if you are submitting a Full Paper, Work-In-Progress, or Student Poster, you should also indicate the category (Innovate Practice, Research-to-Practice or Research) in the first sentence of your abstract. For example: “This Research to Practice Full Paper presents…..”
- Include all final author names and affiliations in the paper record in the submission system and final version (please note that blind manuscript(s) are only used during the review process, not final submissions).
- The Proceedings will use the information from the paper record in the submission system.
Assuming that your paper will be accepted, be sure to review your final manuscript and include all the correct author names, citations, references, and affiliations. The following checklist may be useful:
- Search through the manuscript and remove third-person references to your own work (e.g., include phrases like “as we have shown before” and replace citations (and affiliated references) such as [Anonymous, 2007]”).
- Make sure figures include necessary affiliation related identifiers.
- Update all citations such as ‘[Anonymous, 2007]’ with the correct information.
- Update all references: ‘[Anonymous 2007] Details omitted for double-blind reviewing.’ with the correct information.
- Include relevant references to funding sources.
- Include acknowledgments.
- An electronic version of the manuscript must be generated for the conference proceedings.
FIE expects paper authors or a designated alternate to register and present their paper at the conference. Papers not presented at the conference will normally be removed from the conference record including all online proceedings databases.
February 22, 2021
Extended Abstract Submission Deadline
March 8, 2021
All Acceptance Communications
May 17, 2021
Preliminary Paper, Special Session and Panel Summary Papers, and Workshop Outlines, Submission Deadline
June 7, 2021
June 14, 2021
Notification of Paper Revision Requirements and Final SSPCW Acceptance Communication
June 28, 2021
Revised Paper Submission (major revisions)
July 12, 2021
Review Revisions Completed
July 19, 2021
Peer Review Final Acceptance Communication
July 26, 2021
Final Camera-Ready Paper Submission & Copyright Deadline
September 20, 2021
Early Conference Registration Deadline
October 13-16, 2021